Peter --

In order to run, GT.M minimally needs the following environment
variables set in the shell:

 - $gtm_dist to point to the directory where GT.M is installed
 - $gtmroutines to define a search path for routines
 - $gtmgbldir to point to a global directory file

Details are in the Admin & Ops Guide.  Furthermore, to run "gde" a shell
alias should define gde as something like "$gtm_dist/mumps -run ^GDE".
So, it looks as if environment settings are not getting set for you.
Are you sure your .bash_profile is getting executed?

Also, the way that you are going about installing OpenVistA is a "from
scratch" approach that gives you more flexibility, but is more
complicated.  For a first install, it would much easier to download from
Source Forge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/worldvista) OpenVistA
SemiVivA 0.4.  Assuming that you have downloaded the file
as /Distrib/OpenVistA/OpenVistaSemiVivA0.4.tgz, as root, execute:

  cd /usr/local
  tar zxvf /Distrib/OpenVistA/OpenVistaSemiVivA0.4.tgz

Now, as a normal user, if you execute /usr/local/OpenVistA/vista, you
can start with OpenVistA.

Note that Fedora Core may or may not include Xdialog, which the shell
script /usr/local/OpenVistA/vista uses.  If it does not include it, you
will need to get it from http://xdialog.dyns.net

Regards
-- Bhaskar

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 16:38 -0800, Peter Charbonnier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This weekend I went out and picked up a new HD and installed Fedora
> Core 3 in the hopes of getting OpenVistA up and running on my computer
> at home.  Things went well making the dual boot comp, but when I went
> to install VistA I hit a snag.
>
> Everything was fine until the very end of the Quick Start Installation Guide:
>
> "5.Create the globals file:
> First logout and login as the vista user, then enter the following commands:
> gde
> At the GDE> prompt type:"
>
> When I open a Terminal window and type "gde" I get - "bash: gde:
> command not found"
>
> The other aliases I set in the .bash_profile also look like they are
> bombing out.  I either get the command not found error or "Cannot
> access global directory".  I think that I've set-up something wrong in
> the .bash_profile, although that's just a guess.  As I said, I've only
> just installed Linux this weekend.  I really hope it doesn't have
> anything to do with the big "use core 1 only" warning on the pacific
> telehealth website.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Charbonnier
> Overlake Hospital
> Bellevue WA

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly
prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s)
ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou
dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce
message par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner
immediatement a l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.