Has this been changed?  It used to be that you could set DUZ(0)="^" and it would permit the edit.  As mentioned here, it was a want to 'write protect' a field so that only a trigger could enter the data (a trigger asks if you want to write protect a field).

Holloway, Thomas (EDS) wrote:
   The use of "^" as a lock is a neat programmer trick to enforce
security on a field.  It can't be stored in #200 because it will alter
the number of pieces in the node (since it is the delimiter, as Kevin
noted).  It can't even be entered as a lock character through the normal
FM field edit functions because it is the "abort" character when entered
at a prompt.  And even if you set it into your own DUZ(0), FileMan
doesn't honor it.  The only way to create it is for a programmer to Set
it.  Of course a programmer could Kill it or change it but that might
have unintended consequences.
   I suspect that there is a considerable amount of processing
associated with entering a provider that is hard coded into the routines
and a decision was made that it should not be bypassed no matter what
the security level of the user.  If that is the case, altering
^DD(2,.104,9) would let you use the field through FM but might cause
data integrity issues down the road.  It would be nice if the Input
Transform, the Triggers and all of the other cross references in the DD
covered every business rule associated with a field but that is not the
case.  Some of the rules are so complex and so dependant on the data
entry situation that whole sets of routines are required to carry out
the appropriate data updates and linkages.

   tjh