This "^" write protect has been a feature of Fileman for many many years, at
least 10-15 years or more.  Every database engine incorporates similar
features when there is a need to have a database field that is not editable
by end users.  We can all think of specific examples.  I said that a "^"
write protected field could not be edited using Fileman enter/edit.  I never
mentioned that the field could not be changed using Fileman's DBS APIs.
Actually I do not know if it can or cannot, I have not tried.  My suspicion
is that is can be since the Fileman DBS APIs supposedly do not honor most
security restrictions.  If the database is being accessed by a Fileman DBS
API, the underlying assumption is that the program logic honors all relevant
security concerns.

Having said that, I would exercise great caution in editing any field that
is "^" write protected.  That field was configured that way for a reason.
Unless you understand the reasons for that configuration, you run the high
risk of corrupting the integrated VistA database records with inconsistent
data and thus run the risk of jeopardizing patient safety.  Before anyone
makes a change to the system, they should always try to understand why the
system is way it is in the first place.

In the case of this one field, I believe Tom supposition is correct.  There
are so many relevant data elements required to make a logical decision of
primary provider and attending, that it is not feasible to build that logic
in DD structure of a single field.  When assigning a provider, the VA uses a
process where other user entered data is evaluated to validate the
attending.  Also, both of these fields were originally designed for
inpatients.  I do not know the consequences of putting a value in this field
for a patient that is not an inpatient.