A global directory file and a database file are two very different
things.

Just as given a person's name, a phone directory helps you find the
phone number for that person, a global directory, given an M global
variable, helps the GT.M process find the database file for that global
variable.  The name space of M global variables can be spread over many
database files, and the global directory file specifies this mapping.

Since you appear to be running VistA on GT.M, and since GT.M requires
$gtmgbldir to be set correctly, please tell me how you normally set up
the environment before entering GT.M.

Also, once you are inside GT.M, at the GTM> prompt, Write the value of
$ZGBLDIR and tell me.

-- Bhaskar