Believe me, when I talk to people about M, they are not reading from the same
page you are.  The dead state of M is the A1 reason I get for why VistA has
to be ported to another language and as best I can tell, its viability is
very much judged by the lack of existence of the MDC and the perception that
there are not enough M programmers.

To me, a language is a language and a programmer can program anything he/she
puts his/her mind to.  How long would it take for an experienced programmer
in another language to switch gears and learn M?  (I know M is different, but
give someone Richard's book that clearly tells you what the differences
between M and other languages, and it won't be any more than usual.)  How
long would there be a shortage of programmers if the VA decided to switch
course and quit sidelining  the programmers?  How many would come out of the
woodwork and welcome the chance to use their skills again?    How many people
who are leaving in disgust would rip up those retirement papers for a chance
to join the effort and help train new people?

And no, this is not the reason that a different language could just as well be
used to fix up VistA.  CHCS II ought to be evidence enough that that strategy
is nuts!

Reviving the MDC is what I think is the one step in the right direction. The
VSA out there talking up VistA is another step.  Helping VistA-Office to
succeed is another.  Kevin installing and talking about VistA is another,
etc., etc.

You guys need some "M"ozac.  You are all too depressed. I know that you have
been fighting for 26 years + and are getting battle weary, but don't join the
other side.  This time of the administration pushing medical records and
having the best thing out there to champion is not the time to throw in the
towel!