Greg;

   You got that right...  But when you start getting users and programmers together, magic happens and the model gets better.  If they do it right, then we add it to the general release and everyone wins.   We would like to have every site become a testing ground for new ideas and new solutions to common problems (even uncommon problems).  We will be forming up new development groups to add new functionality, begin mapping out re-engineering of old functionality (there are a lot of reasons to do this effort, but it has to be done very carefully so as to not loose any functionality).  There will be discussions about how this technology can be allowed to continue its evolution.  Come hear the new ideas and help select what gets added and what gets parked.  Ethical issues will be discussed as well.  How much access could a site give to allow for remote reporting of problems?  Would your site be willing to have a process automatically summarize your error trap and report it to one of WorldVistA's sites for analysis, so we can prioritize our efforts to patch exceptions in the applications?  How much information would your site allow to be transferred in such a report (not much is really needed to help us evaluate the work required)?

  Well, time for me to get off the soap-box.  Thanks, Greg (will we see you in Boston?);   Chris
----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Kreis
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] Dificulty with Fileman search

If you really want to find an accomplished FM users, find a user that is very analytical, has a great need to know and boundless curiosity, topped with great heapings of patience.  Why not a programmer?  Because the M programmer has a pressure release valve.  When they can't get FM to do what they want, they break down and program it.  The poor user is forced to try again and again and again.  These mental gymantics leave them with an impressive FM six-pack...  and a wise programmer won't try to match wits with them in the pure FM arena. ;-)

Kevin Toppenberg wrote:
While we are on the topic of sorting etc, can someone
explain how the "START WITH" option works.  Everytime
I put something in this field, I get back no records.
What do I put there?

Kevin

--- Greg Kreis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You will still get the 'just a moment' message if
the field is indexed
and you use the = syntax.  To make the best use of
the index, specify
the field and put in the same value for 'start with'
and 'goto'.

Greg Woodhouse wrote:

No. "Sorting" is basically a matter of iterating

through an index. If

you only want one value, you can use the "=" syntax

in the sort.

Searching is considerably more flexible. George

Timson's point was that

sorting is often all you need if you just want

records having a single

index value. Unfortunately, I chose a field that

wasn't indexed, hence

the "just a moment" comment from Fileman.

--- Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So are you saying that sorting by a single given

value

is the same as a search for that same single given
value?

Our intial discussion was how to create a "set",

which

is done by create a template.  Can that be done

with

this method?

Thanks
Kevin

--- Greg Woodhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Select OPTION: PRINT FILE ENTRIES

OUTPUT FROM WHAT FILE: NEW PERSON// 101  PROTOCOL

(8304 entries)
SORT BY: NAME// INTERNAL(CREATOR)=xxxx
 WITHIN INTERNAL(CREATOR)=36007, SORT BY:
FIRST PRINT FIELD: NAME
THEN PRINT FIELD:
Heading (S/C): PROTOCOL LIST//
START AT PAGE: 1//
DEVICE:   INCOMING TELNET    Right Margin: 80//

...SORRY, I'M WORKING AS FAST AS I CAN...

PROTOCOL LIST

MAR

9,2005  19:58
PAGE 1
NAME

CSL_AR_02_EV_GET_FUND
CSL_AR_02_SU_GET_FUND
etc.

--- Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm lost...

Kevin

--- George Timson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thom says:

| >Just a thought: I believe you could create a
cross-reference that would
| >all you to search on this field, after all.
| >--- "Holloway, Thomas (EDS)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes, but SEARCH does not affect how the file is
traversed.  SORT tells
FileMan how to go thru the file.   Many times

users

can find everything they
really need by SORTING.  As in
       SORT BY: INTERNAL(ENTERED BY)=44

--George Timson

Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
Products from real users.
Discover which products truly live up to the

hype.

Start reading now.

Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new

enhanced

search.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT

Products from real

users.
Discover which products truly live up to the

hype.

Start reading now.

=====
A practical man is a man who practices the errors

of

his forefathers. --Benjamin Disraeli
====
Greg Woodhouse