Ok, so given below, this is what I understand to be
happening.  I will compare it to a date field, and
show that the pointer field is not working in a
consistent manner to date fields.

When the user inputs a date, the supplied external
format may be in one of several formats, e.g. Jan 1,
2005 or 1/1/05.  This must be converted to an internal
format.  This converted user-input value must then be
compared against the database.  If the two
fileman-formated values are the same, the match is
successful.  Note, that the database value is NOT
coverted to an external form and THEN compared.  If
so, the program would have to compare the text of
"1/1/05" with "January 1, 2005" -- which would not be
a match.

So the comparison is done in the format that the value
is stored in the database.

Now extend this to pointer fields.  The user may
supply the search value in a variety of ways.  In my
case, the request for an entry from file# 200 can be
entered as "kst" or "TOPPEN,K" OR "TOPPENBERG,KEVIN"
etc.  This value is then converted to a record
number/IEN/DUZ#, say 70.  What should happen is that
the value 70 is compared against the database entry
(in RecNum/IEN/#DUZ format).  If the database held 70,
we have a match.

Instead, the search program is asking for an output
transform to transform the record number into a text
string.  It is then comparing this to the user's
input.  So when the output transform is S Y="ABRA
KADABRA", then THIS is the value compared to the user
input.

Thus the way that dates and pointer fields are handled
is inconsistent.  And I think my earlier posting is a
straightforward example of the problems this can
cause.

Again, the "bug" word is probably too strong.  But I
think the program could be made to be better if
pointer fields were treated like date fields.

Kevin

=== message truncated ===