Take a deep breath....  You must be the root user in order to install packages
onto the system.  It would also be a good idea to import the public
encryption key from the site where you downloaded apt from.

I have not jumped into this thread because I am still a bit new around here
and I don't want to be a loud mouth.  But here goes.

I assume from previous discussion this is a Red Hat 9 box.  I still have one
of those around too. ; )

Since Red Hat stopped supporting that distribution with bug fixes and updates
sometime ago you really should take a look at http://fedoralegacy.org for
your updates and bug fixes, I am sure you can add their repository to your
apt sources.list file.  They have repositories of packages for the
distributions of Red Hat and Fedora that are not actively being supported by
Red Hat.

'apt' and another tool called 'yum' are two tools that are front ends to the
rpm command.  Their main job is to help an administrator manage the software
that is installed on the machine by installing, freshening, updating and
removing software packages.  They perform most of the leg work involved in
managing software.  You supply apt or yum with a list of repositories.  These
are sites on the Internet that store packages for your specific distribution
and version of Linux.  The configuration files are stored in /etc/apt/ for
apt and in /etc/yum.conf for yum.  Each configuration file has a name and a
URL that points to the directory that contains the packages for your
distribution.

IF your configuration file has an entry to a repository that contains software
that you may want to install on your system you can install any packages that
are contained within that repository with a simple command from the command
line.  like....

apt-get upgrade
or
apt-get install k3b

yum upgrade
or
yum install k3b

You can edit your yum or apt configuration files to search any of the
repositories around the net.  Personally on my Red Hat boxes I use the yum
tool most of the time, on some boxes I use both apt and yum.

These tools can be very useful for those users who are not very familiar with
the different packages and dependencies that must be met for some software to
function properly.  The tools handle all the dependencies, downloading and
installation of the software for you.  But there is a dark side.....  We
won't talk about that now....

Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com
GPG key http://www.oswizards.com/pubkey.asc