Anna,

See if your system has a file# 9000001

This is the PATIENT/IHS file.  Here are the fields as
reported by VPE's DD

File: PATIENT/IHS
              Branch: 1
REF  NODE;PIECE     FLD NUM  FIELD NAME
  1  0;1                .01  NAME
        <-Pntr  [RP2'X]
     12;0              1201  LOCATION OF HOME
      <-WP [9000001.12]
  2   -0;1              .01   -LOCATION OF HOME
                    [W]
     41;0              4101  HEALTH RECORD NO.
 <-Mult [9000001.41IPA]
  3   -0;1              .01   -HEALTH RECORD FAC
<-Pntr  [P9999999.06'X]
  4   -0;2              .02   -HEALTH RECORD NO.
                  [RFX]
  5   -0;3              .03   -DATE
INACTIVATED/DELETED                    [D]
  6   -0;5              .05   -RECORD STATUS
                    [S]
  7   -0;6              .06   -STOP INTEGRATION
                    [S]
 <> <> <>

I think it is fairly well integrated into the VA
system.  But I don't know if VistA depends on it.  I
don't think CPRS can use it to look up a patient by
their HEALTH RECORD NO. however.

Another option would be to use just name and DOB.
There is a key that allows entry of patients WITHOUT a
SSN.  Or, you can just enter "P" for a SSN, and they
will be given a pseudo-SSN.

Kevin