Since Fileman will, at least in the future, will let you translate the name of
the field as seen by the user in a query, then I would think you could ask
for a patient record number but store it in the SS number field IF it were 10
digits long, or something along those lines, as a first "fix".  Of course,
then there are all the pseudoSS# checks, etc., that would have a problem.
OR, you could wait for VistAOffice and hope they dealt with it. ;-)