IHS is designed to just serve the population of Native Americans.  People who are not Native American are not entitled to care at an IHS facility except as an emergency usually.  There are exceptions I will not go into.  Native American are never charged directly for the service they receive at an IHS facility.  If they have health insurance the insurer can be billed.

I think that IHS facilites keep track of the next HRN that is available and when a patient is registered they get assigned an HRN.

Jim Gray
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 1:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] IHS system???

how does one usually assign the HRN? Is it generally a sequence of digits(which is parameterized to incorporate the needs of different hospitals) that are incremented? That calls for a routine!

Does the IHS handle differential charging of patients?  I mean do they have different types of patients like Private, general, free... for whom the same procedure is charged differently? Or patients who have a specified limit to free care? I don't think that happens in VistA anyhow - correct me if I'm wrong!

Anna