Well Nancy - you were most likely hit with CodeRed.

[anti-flame war hat on]

I like to think that I'm the ambassador for all OSes - I've used them
all and my three favorites are Windows, OS X, and Linux right now.
(Although I'm installing FreeBSD on second box in the background right
now.)

Back in the early days of both IIS and Apache - it was easy to install
the system with no patches and get hacked - pure and simple.  Now - we
know what "least priveledges" means, how to NAT/firewall, etc.

The problem with Windows and IIS is most users install it by default
(which isn't the case for XP or 2003 anymore).  Your standard Windows
user is about 5 cans short of a 6 pack and has no idea what IIS even
stands for.

Many of you are linux geeks and you know how to protect your Apache -
here are some hints for your IIS on 2000 and XP.  (2003 ships with a
secure base configuration)

First and foremost, IIS Lockdown.  This one does A LOT - so read the
instructions carefully.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/locktool.mspx

URL Scan is an optional component of IIS Lockdown.  It restricts the
information being posted via IIS.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/
html/secmod114.asp

Patterns and Practices: Securing your Web Server
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/
html/secmod89.asp

NSA Security Configuration Guides
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/
For IIS:
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_miis.cfm?MenuID=scg10.3.1.4

And don't knock IIS too much; Apache has its problems too.  Patch it -
secure it - check it.

There's not that many great single source guidelines for Apache.  You'll
find some information with the NSA (since they did all the SELinux stuff
too) and some with Apache.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/security_tips.html
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.cfm

Put your pitch forks down... I'm just being fair.  If you take a few
minutes to make sure your setup is solid, you can make it work great
like eWeek did for their OpenHack competition.  The contest was to hack
either the Apache/Oracle/Java or IIS/SQL/.NET setup.  They both stood up
well (the Oracle stack was hacked but it was due to the application
itself being vulnerable and not the underlying software).  Note - most
systems are hacked through non-OS software such as Web Apps or simply by
lack of proper administration (bad setup, not patched, etc).

/David.