"user beware" is standard fare in software EULA's so the good news it would not be unique for this caveat to be added to VistA code.

Joseph

Kevin Toppenberg wrote:
As the author of one such script, I would agree that
it is a "user beware" situation. It would be nice if
the work could be expanded upon and made more safe. But one has to start somewhere.

Kevin

--- steven mcphelan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There is one issue I have with the WorldVistA VistA
codebase.  I mentioned
this at Boston.  But it needs to be brought up in
this larger context.
1. Who has access to this code base to make any
supposed modifications to
it?
2. What relationship will all these "scripts" have
to the official codebase?
   a. Will these scripts be certified by some
official entity with
WorldVistA as being fully compatible with the VA
VistA code base and will do
no harm to VA VistA?
   b. If not will the variances be documented?
   c. Is there a list of these scripts and their
certification status by
some entity in authority for WorldVistA?
3. To date, who has been allowed to make
modifications to the WorldVistA
VistA codebase?
   a. Have those modifications been well documented
so that others can
review them?
   b. Who decides what modifications will and will
not be added to the
WorldVistA codebase?
   c. Are there established, documented processes
certifying these changes
have done no harm to the VA VistA code base?
   d. Where is the documented plan to maintain,
support, and update any
modifications made to the VA VistA codebase?
   e. Is there a well defined software QA process
established to certify
any of these changes to the VA codebase.  If so who
is involved with this
and are the findings available for review?

I could go on...
Rick did promise that some of these may be addressed
at the next WorldVistA
meeting.

I think the audience needs right now a list of these
scripts and which of
these are officially blessed by WorldVistA (i.e.,
the Board and the
President) and why.  Or there should be a disclaimer
presented with some
such wording as "User beware and use at your own
risk".  Frankly, I believe
people get this stuff from WorldVistA or hardhats
and believe that it has
the total and unreserved approval of the WorldVistA
Board and the President
of WorldVistA.  I am not sure that approval really
exists.  I personally
view these "scripts" as any other freeware.  If you
like it, use it, but YOU
assume ALL responsibility for the outcome of using
it.

As an example of these concerns:
This move to internationalize VistA is no small
trivial task,  It will
require extensive modifications of FOIA VistA.  Thus
each and every patch
that is released by the VA will have to be scrubbed
to make it
internationalized ready for implementation into the
WorldVistA codebase.
Again this is no small trivial process.  The code
and the KIDS build has to
be modified.  Then it has to be extensively QA'd
again.  It needs to see if
there are any new interactions with the FOIA
codebase that did not exist
previously.   This is no simple, trivial, short-time
frame task.  Where is
the published processes documenting who, what,
where, when, and how this
will be done (or any of the other modifications
made)?

Or will the modified WorldVistA codebase be like
HUI?  I am under the
impression (right or wrong) that the HUI VistA
codebase is way out of synch
with the current VA codebase, like maybe several
years out of synch.  I am
not the only one with this impression.

I raise this up on this licensing thread because the
answers to these
questions will affect the license. If it is open
source, then I as an
end-user have the right to know exactly who, what,
when, where, and how
items are incorporated into the SUPPORTED codebase. WorldVistA does not
have a financial engine like Apache to generate
resources to maintain this
support.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>