Kevin,
I work with these systems in the VA all the time and
we don't have that magic HL7 syncing system.

We generally run a cluster of servers, sometimes with
a backup set in case the main cluster goes down.  But
data entry in two databases at the same time and an
attempt to sync up later just wouldn't work (duplicate
IENs for notes, labs, etc.) in our current
environment.

Have you been able to isolate where the speed problem
occurs?  Does CPRS run fast in the server room but not
at the remote site?  Have you monitored the network
traffic between server and remote site?

In Chicago I ran another whole tertiary care medical
center and a large (150 staff) Outpatient Clinic off
of one set of servers located at a third location.
CPRS response time was identical at all 3 sites...

D Beard