After reflecting on the Linux/distribution rhetoric some..... a simple
metaphor is in order for the model we are assembling here with VistA.

I have opened the box, emptied all the contents on the table, quickly scanned
the directions, assembled the parts and pieces together into a somewhat
workable system.  It is time for my metaphor.

1.  The computer operating system - VAX, UNIX, Linux, Windoze, etc. = A petri
dish

2.  The database - Cache, GT.M = the blood ager medium for the organisms to
grow.

3.  VistA, objects, routines, applications - mumps code = the organisms that
grow and flourish on and in the medium.

As we can see, the OS is merely a container for the medium and the organisms.
Which is why it really doesn't matter which distribution of Linux one uses.

If you have a consultant or contract with anyone who is experienced or
proficient with UNIX/Linux it is not that difficult to get a petri dish out
of the packaging.  The OS is just a petri dish. ; )  Feel free to clarify or
add to this metaphor

Now, back to the mumps textbook.  This stuff is strange..... no wonder you
guys have been working with it for 20 years. : |

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com