From: Kevin Toppenberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 12:59 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] I cant seem to connect to the RPC
Listener

As newcomers start using VistA, this is a common first
problem.  It seems like I struggled for 2-3 days
before getting it working.

For future reference, I would like to develop a list
of possible causes communication failure.  I'll write
what I can think of.  Maybe others can add to the
list.

REASONS FOR FAILURE TO CONNECT:
1. Server problem
  -- configuration problem (example?)
  -- RPC listener not started
  -- incorrect port (mismatch vs. client)
  -- GTM version 5.00-FT2 needed for newer clients
2. Network problem
  -- no physical connection between computers
  -- server-side firewall
  -- client-side (e.g. Windows desktop) firewall
  -- intervening firewall/router causing NAT
3. Client problem
  -- incorrect IP address specified for server
  -- incorrect port (not matching server)
  -- version mismatch to server

Can anyone think of other issues?

Kevin