Ok, in the fileman API, I find the function EN^DIWE.
And it lists the input variables to that function.  Is
it safe to assume that all these same variables would
be available to a custom editor call?  I.e. to the
pre-execute code etc.?

If so, then the pseudocode would be something like
this
-- write global to file
-- call $zsystem "vim editfile"
-- read file back to global