Please forward me your documentation on optimizing the printing of the Acrobat documents.  This might be useful if I decide to print the entire documentation set.

Did you know that they have Kinkos over here?  In any of the larger cities and towns you will find most of the major chains, and things like McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, Wall Mart are everywhere you look, even in the smaller places like where I live.  Globalization at its finest!

Please forward me your documentation about connecting Access (MS?) to Caché via ODBC.  Would this also indicate how to connect other products like Crystal Report?

Right now I would be most interested in obtaining documentation on mapping Fileman files to Caché classes.  If you have any documentation on this process I would be most grateful.  I am not sure if this is what you are referring to when you talk about an SQL feature currently being prepared as a VistA patch.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Renee Cannon
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 7:35 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Hardhats-members] Finding Caché Documentation

Here are some useful tips on finding and using Caché documentation.

The Cache documentation is included in the install.

The DocBook-based Caché 5.0 documentation is extendible- you can add your own documentation and it becomes a part of the entire set, which is searchable.  If you run the SQL feature that is being prepared as a VistA patch (email me if you want it right now), you’ll see the FileMan file definition field descriptions, comments, etc. incorporated into the searchable, browser-based documentation.

You can view Caché 4.1 and 5.0 documentation online and/or you download it.  Take your pick at http://www.intersystems.com/cache/downloads/documentation/cache5docs/index.html

I also have a document that explains how to optimize printing for the Acrobat documents.  This is especially useful if you’re going to have a print shop like Kinkos print and bind them for you.  Please email me if you would like a copy of this document.

The Caché 4.1 documentation is not as elegant as the 5.0 documentation.  However, the Caché 5.0 SQL Manager is backward-compatible to 4.1, so you can use the 5.0 documentation to learn about certain 4.1 activities, such as running SQL queries server-side.  If you want to run queries from an ODBC client, it works just like any RDBMS you may be more familiar with… I can send you a paper on connecting Access to Caché via ODBC.  You can do other things as well such as generating Word Documents, Acrobat files, etc.  Just let me know what you are interested in and I’ll send you a document to guide you.

Thanks,

Renee Cannon

InterSystems Corporation