Documentation of Host File devices is found in Chapter 18 of the Kernel Systems Manual. The GTM-UNIX-HFS entry in your message does not include a value for ASK HFS I/O OPERATION. This would allow specifying the file mode, i.e. read or write, etc. at the time of device selection. Alternatively the device could be configured to "noreadonly" and "newversion" etc. by adding OPEN PARAMETERS. Answering YES to ASK HFS IO OPERATION obtains the flexibility of using the same device entry for both input and output. The field ASK DEVICE is irrelevant, since HFS is not a signon device. Also OUT-OF-SERVICE DATE is not required.

Lloyd

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ismet Kursunoglu, MD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:50 AM
Subject: [Hardhats-members] What is GTM-UNIX-HFS?

I am sorry about asking such a general question but my understanding about GTM-UNIX-HFS is murky. I didn't have it on my system so I created it.

NUMBER: 43                              NAME: GTM-UNIX-HFS
  $I: /home/ibk/tmp/hfs.dat             ASK DEVICE: YES
  ASK PARAMETERS: NO                    QUEUING: ALLOWED
  LOCATION OF TERMINAL: localhost       ASK HOST FILE: YES
  OUT-OF-SERVICE DATE: JAN 01, 2030
MNEMONIC: HFS
  SUBTYPE: P-OTHER                      TYPE: HOST FILE SERVER

I arbitrarily created the hfs.dat file having seen this mentioned in various documents. I tried to write out some files to disk but don't see anything in the respective file.

How do I use this device ? Is it purely a method to write out files? Can I access it over the network? And how does this device relate to the Linux file system? (in this case a reiserfs) Perhaps someone could kindly point me to some document that talks about this.

Thank you.

Ismet

--
Ismet B. Kursunoglu, MD, FCCP