I do not know how you would do this in GT.M.  But in Cache, when I am in a
terminal window at the programmer's prompt I would do the following:

VAH>S PATH="your path" S PATH=$$DEFDIR^%ZISH(PATH) W !!,PATH

VAH>S FILE="your filename"

VAH>S %IO=PATH_FILE

VAH>S %IS="%IO:(newversion):3"

VAH>O @%I2 W !!,$T

This is what %ZISH is doing when it is trying to open a new file to write
to.

If you want to read a file in, everything is the same for the OPEN command
except:
VAH>S %IS="%IO:(readonly):3"

The question is what happens when you issue that OPEN command?  Do you get
an error?  Is path what you expect it to be?  If you do not get an error
then what is the value of $T after the open command?