I'm not entirely sure I understand your point here, but if you do intend to use array names as object references (which is what I generally do), and if you need a numeric object ID, then it seems reasonable to require that every object implement a getID() method. I'm not sure if non-persistent objects (any objects?) really need numeric IDs so long as the array references are well-defined and unique.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery