This is a good example of lack of reusability (or better, poor encapsulation) at the design, rather than the implementation, level. I completely agree that when our design proves a poor match for an unanticipated usage scenario, we are helpless to address it (aside from ugly kludges or extensive rework). Design patterns represent one attempt to deal with this problem, but it is embarrassingly difficult to even come up with a simple definition of pattern. In fact, in their seminal work Gamma et al. (the "Gang of Four") basically presented a catalog of patterns (after some preliminary discussion) and in effect said: They're things like these.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The policy of being too cautious is