I think MUMPS is actually more true to the original
ASCII definition of what LF - line feed and CR - carriage
return were originally intended to do. The "\n" format in
C was a combination of LF and CR in its original incarnation.

Like Greg suggests, it's too bad MUMPS is an old language
and does more for you in terms of IO abstraction than the
"modern" languages do....

David