The two big advantages are flexibility and expandability. Beyond that,
DNS is just A records (mapping domain names to IP addresses). Other
resource record types you may find useful are CNAME records, which
allow you to create aliases for a domain, PTR records allowing you to
translate IP addresses back to domain names, MX or mail exchanger
records to handle routing of mail and SRV records, which allow you to
create named services. There are a few other resource records having to
do with DNS administration and lookup, such as SOA (Start of Authority)
and NS (name server).

Actually, 30 is a big number: that's already 435 pairs of addresses.
You may want to make part (or all) of your network non-routable, you
may want to set up proxies, you may want to make it possible for people
to send mail from outsidwe your facility to one or more systems within
your facility. You may have occasion to expand, introduce new
technologies or just move systems (all of which can force renumbering),
you may want to centralize name administration so that you don't have
to set up host files on each of your systems separately. You may want
to use a protocol like DHCP to dynamically assign IP addresses. You may
want to partition your LAN due to network bottlenecks. I suppose I
could keep going, but there are a lot of areas in which use of domain
names can make your life easier.

--- Thurman Pedigo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lets say we have 30 devices. What is the advantage of DNS/BIND over
> directly
> addressing the IP?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thurman

Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Design quality doesn't ensure success, but design failure can ensure failure."

--Kent Beck