Have you ever picked up the XForms specification? Maybe plain old XHTML
forms all you need for your applications, but when I look at the
direction W3C is going here, what I see XML sprinkled with triggers,
DOM events, and the like. That doesn't make me think the technology is
likely to lead to anything simpler (or easier to maintain) than plain
old Java and Swing. Developers are basically feeling there way along,
trying to find ways to build web based applications that aren't as
klunky and awkard as your typical web site, but the way forward is far
from clear.

Now, what I would like to see (really) is a discussion of what people
want in a user interface, not what technology should be used to
implement it. I can get users to say "I want something like this." But
in what sense? We seem to find it amazingly hard to articulate what we
want in a user interface, much less come to terms with a more abstract
notion like "look and feel" or "user experience".

--- Mike Lieman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 7/27/05, Greg Woodhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I am definitely NOT happy
> > with the code I've written because it clearly not very successful
> in
> > keeping presentation logic separate from application logic. This is
> > definitely an area in which web based applications excel.
> >

> That, and the whole, "Just point a browser at this site..." does away
> with
> ALL of the client software install/maintenance issues. That's BIG for
> me.
>
> I don't mind, ok, I *DO* mind paying the Microsoft Tax, and using
> Windows as
> a pretty dumb terminal, but having to manage a lot of software
> configuration
> on it? That gets expensive.

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Design quality doesn't ensure success, but design failure can ensure failure."

--Kent Beck