> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Alberto Odor wrote:
> > I'm preparing a presentation (FOR TOMORROW) to introduce VistA in our
> > institution. I would like to include something about the history of VistA,
> > especially how it made the VA medical care go from NOT GOOD to EXCELENT.

I consider these two articles 'required reading':

"Best Care, Anywhere"
Ten years ago, veterans hospitals were dangerous, dirty, and
scandal-ridden. Today, they're producing the highest quality care in
the country. Their turnaround points the way toward solving America's
health-care crisis.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2005/0501.longman.html

"Military Might"
To cultivate a "culture of safety" at the VA, Kizer created a National
Center for Patient Safety, and to head it up he brought in James
Bagian, a former astronaut who had investigated the space shuttle
Challenger accident for NASA.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/050718/18va.htm