> Rhetoric abounds decrying cost of medicine in the U.S. to the point some
> advocate importing from Canada.

It's not rhetorical. It's a measurable and real.  There is nothing
rhetorical about the spirally costs of drug therapy and medicine.

> Adding that to the recent fiasco regarding
> the COX inhibitors leaves plenty room to wonder about efficacy of FDA. I am
> somewhat concerned when I listen to physicians, who haven't bothered to
> check profitability, or PE ratio,

Oh my heart bleeds for those pharmacy companies.  Maybe if they suffered
from real market forces, they'd be more profitable, or maybe not.  Who
gives a damn when my mother dumps nearly $140.00 a month just on Lipitor
and the physician refuses to consider diazepam from her occasional
sleeping problem.  Why should he when he can give her Lustra for $160 an
RX.

> lament drug costs. Sure, as an industry
> pharmaceuticals do well, though not the absolute highest performers.

You miss understand.  I couldn't care if they loose money.  If GM can
loose money, Pfizer can as well.  I have nothing at stake with their
financial health, and neither does the public.

> Still,
> our FDA approval process has far more influence on costs than any imagined
> profitability.

That's just a flat out lie.  The companies spend more in their bribery
than they do on regulatory affairs or research.  In fact, its not even
close.

Ruben