A little venting never hurts.  The topic is relevant to the implementation of
an EHR and VistA IMHO.  If is difficult enough to integrate this stuff into a
system/culture that is generally technophobic.

I see it everyday, being that I am a drugless practitioner in a medical center
surrounded by the whole song and dance.  My brother en-law is a prominent
neurologist in Indianapolis and boy does he have some stories.....  Ruben has
justification for his thoughts.... however flammable they may be.  We need
more people making noise.

On Friday 12 August 2005 1:48 pm, Greg Kreis wrote:
> I don't see how this discussion is relevant to hardhats.  There are
> lists where people can debate the cost of medicine and the reasons for
> it. We have over 400 subscribers and I suspect that most of them are
> here because this is the hardhats list and they have a general
> expectations of the content.
>
> Also, let's keep our discussions more civil and less inflammatory.
>
> Ruben Safir wrote:
> >>Rhetoric abounds decrying cost of medicine in the U.S. to the point some
> >>advocate importing from Canada.
> >
> >It's not rhetorical. It's a measurable and real.  There is nothing
> >rhetorical about the spirally costs of drug therapy and medicine.
> >
> >>Adding that to the recent fiasco regarding
> >>the COX inhibitors leaves plenty room to wonder about efficacy of FDA. I
> >> am somewhat concerned when I listen to physicians, who haven't bothered
> >> to check profitability, or PE ratio,
> >
> >Oh my heart bleeds for those pharmacy companies.  Maybe if they suffered
> >from real market forces, they'd be more profitable, or maybe not.  Who
> >gives a damn when my mother dumps nearly $140.00 a month just on Lipitor
> >and the physician refuses to consider diazepam from her occasional
> >sleeping problem.  Why should he when he can give her Lustra for $160 an
> >RX.
> >
> >>lament drug costs. Sure, as an industry
> >>pharmaceuticals do well, though not the absolute highest performers.
> >
> >You miss understand.  I couldn't care if they loose money.  If GM can
> >loose money, Pfizer can as well.  I have nothing at stake with their
> >financial health, and neither does the public.
> >
> >>Still,
> >>our FDA approval process has far more influence on costs than any
> >> imagined profitability.
> >
> >That's just a flat out lie.  The companies spend more in their bribery
> >than they do on regulatory affairs or research.  In fact, its not even
> >close.
> >

> >Ruben

Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com