Some of you may know that I like Java, and I like the design pattern
concept, too, but I find it frustrating that Java programs are often
longer and more complex than they need to be, and the concept of a
design pattern is frustratingly elusive. I've thought for some time
that they are best understood as higher order concepts, and have been
thinking a lot lately about modal semantics (but I digress).

Anyway, I just came across the following slides for a talk M. J.
Dominus gave at a Perl conference in 2002. They're well worth reviewing
if you're familiar with the Gang of Four book.

http://perl.plover.com/yak/design/

I'm still undecided as to whether I agree with his analysis of the
book, or whether dynamic languages like Perl (and possibly MUMPS?)
offer a better alternative. But take a look.

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Design quality doesn't ensure success, but design failure can ensure failure."

--Kent Beck