Sounds like there may be a place for an open source solution to standardize and maintain such interfaces.

Larry, are these interfaces just MUMPS routines? I assume the hardware interfaces are either serial or TCP/IP? Are there examples available in the FOIA VistA?

Carlson, Larry G wrote:

I have written (stolen too) about 20 such interfaces in the past for the
Seattle VA.

We now use Data Innovations for all but 4 of our interfaces.  Paying for DI
results in a stable environment that doesn't depend on having programming
expertise on board.

There has to be a tip point at which buying/building/licensing a separate box to connect just a handful of instruments is not worthwhile.

And another one where there just is not the expertise available to roll-my-own.

Also, writing local direct connect interfaces -
although fun - is a never ending job as the labs continue to purchase new
instrumentation.  Nonetheless, it may be that interfaces written for similar
equipment for VA labs may run with little modification in instances where
avoiding annual license fees are an issue.

I am going to have a task similar to Kevin's. But smaller scale and with nothing significant already purchased and in use.

thanks,
jlz