Bhaskar has been quiet because he was on vacation for two weeks, and has
been catching up with his e-mail since his return on Monday morning,
August 22.  Since his return and diligent attempt to get through things
that accumulated in his absence, the number of unread e-mail messages in
his Inbox has *increased* by 20.  My catching up with hardhats will be
slow, and if there is something that you think I should reply to but
have not, please do point me to it with an offline e-mail.  Thank you
very much.

I would guess that for someone with a solid Computer Science background
and who is comfortable around compilers, run time systems, stack frames,
etc., porting GT.M for x86 GNU/Linux to Mac would be on the order of a
couple hundred person days.  The change from Linux to FreeBSD would be
trivial, and indeed members of the GT.M community report being able to
hack GT.M to run on FreeBSD on x86.

Big endian vs. little endian is a non-issue.  I have successfully
demonstrated VistA on GT.M on IBM pSeries AIX, which is a big endian
machine.

Incidentally, the comments about the Alpha being big endian are
incorrect - x86 (and the AMD x64), VAX, and Alpha/AXP architectures are
all little endian.  IBM Power (pSeries) and mainframe (zSeries), Sun
SPARC, and HP PA-RISC are big endian.  Itanium can be either - Linux and
OpenVMS use it as a little endian machine and HP-UX uses it as a big
endian machine.

-- Bhaskar

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 18:58 -0500, David Sommers wrote:
> I believe the issue was related to compiler specific "optimizations"
> in
> the C implementation of the M compiler.  Bhaskar's been quiet lately
> but
> we've discussed this on the list before.  I was interested because I
> simply love my MAC.

[KSB] <...snip...>