During the time I was pushing (before the Boston meeting)  to revive the MDC,
what I learned from private email and telephone conversations and what I
heard at the meeting in Boston made it clear that there are plenty of people
who want to move it forward.  It is just that they are understandably afraid
of the process.

Trying to reach some sort of concensus among a bunch of smart and passionate
folks who don't agree about what should be done is tough, sometimes bruising
and largely thankless.  In some instances, there are clearly choices that
have to be made and where there is no one best answer, and that is just the
beginning. Then there is battling and spending the way through the process of
getting the changes accepted as a standard.

There were thoughts of trying to find another way to do it, at least as an
initial step as folks stick their toes in the water.  Then there is also a
community of non-VistA M users that are out there, passionate and waiting for
an opportunity to join the discussion.

This is one of those places where an innovative use of the web might be
helpful for getting this process rolling, and as I recall, Chris Richardson
had some suggestions about that. Perhaps he will jump in and discuss it.