Laptops and linux...
I have a humble recommendation if you are going the linux laptop
route....
Make sure you get one with an nvidia card... the ati support is weak.
Having said that, Nancy's advice is dead on!
I have a habit of buying the coolest hardware I can find (or someone
gives me) and shoehorning linux onto it.  Whether it is a good match or
not (and so far only a few complaints).

But, if you are going the laptop linux route.  And, you want cprs to
work right (completely right) then you may want a large one (memory) and
a fast one (cpu), because you are probably going to need to run a
virtual machine running windows in which you will run cprs.
*blech*

my .02 euros

Emmanuel