-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nancy
Anthracite
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 7:56 AM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Hardhats-members] There is a new FOIA CACHE.dat release
as of Aug. 25

The Cache.dat is the full set of routines and globals to be used in Cache
and
usually works fine if you follow the instructions on Hardhats, although
those
instructions often get updated as new FOIA releases have new wrinkles to
iron
out.

The process of porting this to GTM is not seamless, and the exported
Routines
and Globals are just the starting point.  If I am not mistaken, the GTM
routines this time seem to be lacking the % routines, but I am about to
export those so they should be available shortly if you would like them.
These routines may not be there deliberately as they often need work before
the GTM version will function properly and replacing them from a version of
VistA that already works with GTM is sometimes the answer.  Assuming that
that is the answer without further investigation is not a great idea,
however.

These routines and globals have to be imported and the routines have to have
dos2unix or something similar run on them before they are imported.
Thereafter comes the job of completing some of the same procedures that are
on the Hardhats web site and making the changes needed as problems are
encountered.  I sometimes do the easy stuff, but the experts are needed to
figure out the rest, so I would not recommend it for someone new to this.

After this initial work comes the testing.  There is often version specific
code that will cause compile errors, but since the errors are in code for
some other version of M, it often doesn't matter, but again, the experts are
going to be the ones that will know this.

In addition to this, there are other things the experts do to make those
OpenVistA releases you find in VivA and SemiVivA on Sourceforge and the
original HUI release that I am not even aware of.  The coding sessions in
Seattle a few months ago (not the main meeting that was held there, but a
small meeting at Rick Marshall's house) and the one in North Carolina that
is
planned for September are where just the experts get together and try to
hash
this stuff out. ( I strongly recommend that those of us that are not experts

stay away from those meeting as we will only get in the way. ) One of the
things the experts are promising to do this time is to document everything
they do to make this process easier in the future.  I suspect they really
will do it this time as they are sick of hearing the rest of us bug them
about it, and in addition, even they want to know what some of their crew
did
that they didn't know about.