I generalized non-interactive process to daemon.  I haven't used GTM
nearly as much as I would like but I understand your POV.

David Sommers, Architect  |  Dialog Medical

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of K.S.
Bhaskar
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 6:23 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] Re: Slow CPRS response with Linux/GT.M

David --

GT.M is unusual among database engines in that it does not have a
database daemon.  This avoids a potential single point bottleneck and/or
source of failure.  Also, compared to database engines where a daemon
runs as root, system security is a little better since processes that
must access the database run with normal user and group ids.

-- Bhaskar

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 16:56 -0500, David Sommers wrote:
> You could verify the GTM daemon by trying to access Apache or
> something
> similar on your linux box to verify it on the network.  If Apache (or
> FTP) is "slow", then concentrate your efforts on the box.  If Apache
> (or
> FTP) is fast, then concentrate on GTM.
>
> And what are the licensing options for Cache on Linux?  Is there a
> 1-user runtime to help validate system or application?
>
> /David.
>

> David Sommers, Architect  |  Dialog Medical

September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle
Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing &
QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement *
http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf