Kevin,

I went through the same process in the late 80's. Only then it was a Wang
Mini circa 1978 converting to FileMan. I had the advantage of having written
the program (in BASIC), though that wasn't so much the advantage. We used a
port interface (fuzzy, but I think telnet capture, or some device on the
parallel port) to print (and capture) output to disk. We were using PC with
DOS then.

You don't say what OS you are dealing with and your experience with it.
However, I think you can find a tool that lets you take the text off a
printer port. There are not as many of those gadgets now as we had then,
however, you should be able to find something to capture date, if you can
print it. Below is one such devices. I don't necessarily recommend it for
your application. It is just a demonstration they still make them.
http://www.printdistributor.com/print-to-file.html

Can you give a little more specs on OS and how much you can control it?
Surely you can print some reports with the Cobol program. If you have some
familiar OS, it should be fairly easy to get the data our.

thurman