I have been working with Asterisk since 2003 setting up small offices with
VOIP to POTS gateways and writing custom telephony applications in perl.

The medical center where I am employed runs a 3Com VOIP system that has been
nothing but problems since installation.... it will most likely be replaced
with Asterisk in the not too distant future.

A good Wiki portal for everything VOIP is http://voip-info.org

or the original http://www.asterisk.org

--
Mark Street, RHCE