Chris,
according to my copy of the millenium standard you are talking
about an embedded XXX program. Where XXX=SQL or Z[unspecified].
if an embedded SQL program was used, it must conform to the
syntax in the standard X3.135 , Other values for XXX such as
FORTRAN or PYTHON were reserved for future extensions of M.

The syntax for an embedded program thus would be something like:

&SQL( exttext )  where exttext ::= any graphic character
embedded eols (end of lines) had to be followed by &

so an example might be:

&SQL(
& SELECT * FROM PATIENT
& )

The & beginning a line was expected to be stripped out or replaced by
some other graphic characters if the Embedded program's syntax needed this.

David