Exactly! A more eloquent statement of my point. I like the neighbor analogy, since this list serves that purpose admirably. So, I'm off to configure Vista.

K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

Mike --

I am entirely sympathetic to your plight.  In Pennsylvania where I live,
doctors in droves are retiring or moving elsewhere for these reasons.

That said, your post makes a strong case in a different way for the use
of open source free software - with OSFS, you have the choice of doing
it yourself or of buying support, just like with home repairs.  When I
fixed a toilet tank at home that wouldn't stop running last weekend, I
had a choice of doing it myself, hiring a plumber, or calling on a
neighbor for help.  It wasn't free in the sense that I had to pay with
my time (either then, or in the future in terms of helping my neighbor
with something else) or pay with my money, but it was free in the sense
that I had the freedom to decide how I wanted to pay.

With closed source software, that freedom to choose how to pay for it
doesn't exist.

-- Bhaskar