The released patches for a given package all have sequence numbers, and
patches should be applied in order of increasing sequence number. Other
dependencies (including cross-application dependencies) will be
explicitly noted in the patch description. For routines, the patches
that have been applied SHOULD (it is a requirement) be listed on the
second line. A handy tool for checking routine 2nd lines is D ^%ZTP1.
You can also compare checksums if you have doubts. KIDS stores checksum
internally to validate the vontents of a patch, but at present, your
most reliable way of checking othe components may just be to use the
KIDS option to compare th distribution with what is on the system.
Finally, you can look at the PACKAGE and BUILD files to see what has
been loaded and/or installed.

You occasionally find circular dependencies and other problems that
require a little more thought (and VistA knowledge) to resolve, but
this isn't supposed to happen.

Oh, and patching is A PAIN IN THE NECK. There are applications with
600+ patches, and I sincerely hope WorldVistA does something to get
this madness under control.

--- Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, I have avoided this point for at least a year, but this I need
> to learn how to patch my system.  I have set up a parallel practice
> system that I can play around in.
>
> So questions:
> How do I know what patches should be applied?
> How do I read the patching numbers?  It seems that they don't go in
> numeric order?
> How do I know what patches have already been applied to my system?
>
> Is there a document I should be reading?
>
> One point to start might be with the patching needed to get the GUI
> working that nurses can use to enter vitals with, separate from CPRS.
>
> Thanks

Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Without the requirement of mathematical aesthetics a great many discoveries
would not have been made."

-- Albert Einstein