Roy Gaber wrote:
> TCP

I'm not talking about the networking protocol. I'm talking about the data protocol used at the application level - the RCP Broker message structure itself.

The VA docs make it clear that RPC Broker communication details were meant to be hidden to all software clients that are not a) another VistA server, or b) Delphi clients or c) internal VistA and/or operating system processes.

Again, It's a smart move on the VA's part because it gives the development team quality control on client communications. And in all fairness the the need for non-VA people to write other types of clients may not have been a high enough priority so far.

In any case the exact details of RPC Broker messages are a mystery to those outside the RPC Broker development team.

See the "RPC Broker Systems Manual," v-1.1, page 2-17:

"RPC BROKER MESSAGE STRUCTURE" - partly reads as follows:

The basic RPC Broker merssage structure consists of the following:
* A header portion (which includes the name of the remote procedure call).
* The body of the message (which includes descriptors, length computations, and M parameter data).

Also, look in the "RPC Broker Technical Manual," Version 1.1; Patch XWB*1.1*40 (Page 13-2):

"INTERFACES"

No *non*-VA products are embedded in or required by the RPC Broker software, other than those provided by the underlying operating systems.

(emphasis theirs)

Richard Schilling