Typically, you schedule fsck to run at system boot. Don't do this on a running system!

(Sorry, I should have kept my mouth shut.)

Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/9/05, Greg Woodhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> If you think you've lost files due to a crash, you can try running fsck and
> then look in lost+found.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# fsck
fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
/dev/sdb1 is mounted.

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)? <---------- I said NO

I'll have to think about this for awhile before I start unmounting my
filesystems....

Thanks

Gregory Woodhouse  <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Einstein was a giant. He had his head in the clouds and his feet on the ground."

-- Richard P. Feynman