-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Doug
Martin
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 8:52 AM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] Finding all pointers to bad entries/Re:
?Fileman bug?

James is correct that a .01 pointer field could be DINUM'd to something
other than the pointer value, though I doubt this practice is very
common.  The possible exception might be cases where a range of internal
record numbers are reserved for a particular purpose and a DINUM might
be used to enforce that constraint.  Typically, however, DINUM'ing a .01
pointer field is done to insure that the internal record numbers of the
file correspond to those of the linked records in the target file.  This
makes some programmatic tasks a bit easier, but obviously makes the task
of repointing much more complex.

Note that DINUM'ing to a pointer value is further complicated by the
fact that a DINUM'd file could also have pointers to it.  Some of these
pointers might be DINUM'd as well.  So this too becomes a recursive
operation.  There is also the potential for cyclic references that a
recursive algorithm would have to take into account.

Douglas K. Martin, MD
Clinical Informatics Associates, Inc.