My understanding is that the drug interaction system is based on
ingredients.  Each drug has a link to its composite ingredients.  As
new drug-drug interactions become known, these are added to the
database, but older drugs wouldn't have to be specifically linked,
because the check is based on the ingredients.

Kevin