On Jan 26, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Kevin Toppenberg wrote:

So I have written some functions using both calling methods, and I
have just now had reason to call one from another.
I know that I could create a new array, merge it, pass that array,
then when the function returns merge it back.  But, is there a way to
do this directly--i.e. achieve my erroneous line listed above, perhaps
with different syntax?

Thanks
Kevin

Interesting question! It seems that $NAME really has no inverse. One possibility would be to construct a line of code on the fly and execute it. For example, if the VAR="X" and you want pass the variable with VAR as its name as a reference parameter (say that three times fast), you could do this

SET CMD="D TAG(."_VAR_")" X CMD

(I agree that it's an ugly solution.)

===
Gregory Woodhouse