Hi,

  I didn't even go that high (3CCD) and have been very pleased with
  my Panasonic PV-GS14. For me a very important feature of the
  camera is to have a "top loader".  This way you can change tapes
  without having to take off all of the tripod mounting stuff... which would
  kill most presentations if you need to do a tape change during the talk.
  Also, it gives more opportunity to drop the equipment, work connections
  and connectors loose, etc...

  So, if you are buying, IMO you need:
  - Good optical zoom numbers (stay out of digital zoom settings while
    recording unless you absolutely have not choice)
  - Line in
  - Mic in
  - Top loading (or be able to change recording media withOUT taking off
    of the tripod/mount)
  - Video out is nice if you're recording to some other media (e.g. external
    DVD)

Re: Knowing that Nancy is a gadget geek freak...

  FWIW, I bought mine at BestBuy *WITH* the service... and it has already
  paid off... but I've recorded many many hours (PyCON 2005, WorldVistA
  Boston, other lectures, etc... probably 100 or so tapes with quite a bit of
  transport)...

  You probably have time to run in and get one on the way there ;-)

  As Greg recommends, getting a house feed is wonderful... but beware
  to talk with the sound folks about whether it is a "line" or a "mic" feed.
  You won't get the  recording as you expect if not matched.

  FWIW, having used Canon, Sony and Panasonic MiniDV... I'm currently
  *very* strongly pro Panasonic MiniDV cameras!

Cheers,
  --ldl

--
LD Landis - N0YRQ - from the St Paul side of Minneapolis