see my inline responses below...

Michael

--- James Gray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I do not understand the value or point of this.  Both examples seem more
> complicated than either of the two one line statements that Kevin has below.

I guess it comes down to personal preference.  I have to agree with what Greg
said about the level of abstraction.  To me, I find it easier to say:

S NAM=Pat.name

This way, I don't have to know in what global/piece the data is stored, what
the IEN is, etc.  When I code, I like to build the programming language up to
the application.  To me, the level of abstraction of my example is one step
higher than using the Fileman API.

> I do not understand how this is connected to Greg concept of making Fileman
> language independent.

I took Greg's comments of making Fileman language independant to mean not
dependant on knowing the ins-and-outs of how Fileman works.  The API does a
nice job of this, but I think it could be better.  I don't think this higher
abstraction can be achieved through ANSI M programming constructs.  You could
do quite well using a functional programming style, but I think to achieve a
seperation from "programming with the knowledge of how Fileman works", to just
programming, some kind of a compiler/macro facility is needed.

In my examples, I used a '&&' notation to indicate a macro.  In my mind, this
would translate into a macro expansion that would contain the code to return
the patient's name.  As an application level programmer, I didn't have to know
that the patient's name was in file number 200 of the ^DD global at piece
number 1, etc...That was all handled by the macro.