-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thurman
Pedigo
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:00 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] Billing Module for VistA

I haven't carefully explored the VistA AR system, though what I have done
indicated that there are something like 11 options that appear to expand
into as much as 50-75 additional options seemingly geared to the VA needs. I
don't get much more help from the manual.

Continuing the discussion of Accounts Receivable (AR) management, I wanted
to test this groups thinking regarding relationships in the AR file. We
recently had discussions of identifiers, which drives quite a bit of my
concern. For over 25 years I have built the AR around a family oriented
structure. While it is a great tool, it gets awkward managing individuals.
We had recent discussion of identifiers without settling many issues. In my
thinking that becomes even more important in design considerations for AR
management. I am basing my concerns on some considerations presented below
and will ask guidance from this group. I must also share my prejudice that
that I consider a split system (separate but linked) a SERIOUS HANDICAP for
EHR practice management execution.

Since the early 80's I have listened to Mike Fitzsmaurice (ARQ), Ed Hammond
(Duke University) and others debate the identifier. In a 2005 document they
address recommendations - beware of wrap:
http://www.connectingforhealth.org/assets/reports/linking_report_2_2005.pdf

"...a health identifier as having six theoretical characteristics:
. Unique Only one person has a particular identifier
. Non-disclosing The identifier discloses no personal information
. Permanent The identifier will never be re-used
. Ubiquitous Everyone has an identifier
. Canonical Each person in the system has only one identifier
. Invariable A person's identifier won't change over time"

I plan to create three new files (ARFILE, RPFILE, & INSURFILE) related to
accounts management and insurance filling. I won't be surprised if I have to
add other new files before the project is complete. My interest is NOT to
build something using the identifier, but to anticipate potential problems.

Since interest remains in VistA billing, I wanted to share these thoughts
and get feedback. I expect to run the proposed AR system with ScreenMan
interface, though as I get more familiar with other VistA options I (or
someone) may find another interface.

Thanks,

thurman