Please see:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11844694/

"A big advantage for the VA is electronic medical records. The VA has the largest, and one of the most modern systems in the world. When a VA patient visits any facility in the country, the records are there. Indeed, after Hurricane Katrina, many VA patients received uninterrupted care even as they were forced to move.

"All of the information I need about any of my patients, including their X-rays and their tests, are always available, always accurate, always there in a legible form," says Gauge.

The electronic records also allow the VA to track its performance — to quickly learn what works and what doesn't — providing what many say could be a model for health care nationwide."