Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Excellent link.  Thanks!  I was looking for something like
> this a year ago, and could only find Cygwin, which was too
> unweildy for me.

For some reason, if you google for something like "Windows X
server" XDeep doesn't show up for many pages; all the
expensive ones show up first.

> Help me understand this X stuff.  Is this conceptually
> different from VNC/VNC server?

It's been a while since I used VNC; there are some
differences, but I'd have to look it up.

> Is the app running on the local computer instead of the
> server?

It sometimes confuses people that the process on your local
computer is called the X server, since we tend to think of a
"server" as "the remote machine". In this case, however, the
display is the resource being "served". Clients are the GUI
applications that request display services from the X
server.

Therefore, I run XDeep as my server on a local Windows
machine. Then using PuTTY, I make a terminal connection to a
remote machine using ssh. In that terminal, I start a GUI
application, say, GIMP. GIMP looks for the display port
(typically set as an environment variable $DISPLAY) and then
sends all display traffic thence. GIMP doesn't know where
the physical display is (in fact, if it's tunneled through
ssh, it looks like a local port on the same machine as
GIMP).

Hope that made it more clear rather than less.

Ted